Following the writing prompts on BlogHer!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Do you like to dive into things or take your time getting acclimated?

In Life - it depends upon the circumstances. If it's an experience that's going to be short lived - I like to jump in .... if it's going to be a long one - I like to take my time.

Now - since the topic is swim, I must admit that if the water is cold, it takes me time. There is a place in the center of my mid back that is soooo sensitive to cold, that I try to ease into the water. Everyone has always said - "just jump in" but I can't -- it's like I'm afraid of the shock to my system.

And then again, maybe it's because I'd feel out of control. A memory just came up. When I was little, my parents and my brother hassled me into jumping in, and I almost drowned. I was so scared. For a long time after that, I wouldn't even go near the water. I would sit on the sidelines reading a book, telling everyone that's what I wanted to do, even tho a part of me was yearning to play with the other kids.

I almost got over that fear when I was taking water aerobics as an adult. I had to get in right away, as being fearful in front of the whole class was more uncomfortable than easing my way in because of my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment