Following the writing prompts on BlogHer!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Are you scared of being in open water?

Am I afraid of being in open water? Yes and No.
Yes - The first thing that comes to mind is a plane crashing or boat sinking and being in the middle of a vast ocean. The thoughts of getting tired of swimming or sharks would make me very afraid.
No - Years ago when I used to swim in the ocean every day, a boyfriend dared me to swim to a little island off the Kanohe bay in Oahu, and I did. It was a long swim, and at one point, about mid-swim, I looked back towards the shore and it seemed as far away as the shore of the little island. I was definitely in open water! I knew I had to keep going, and I did.
Once on the island, we had some water, necked and napped, and then I realize OMG, I've got to swim all the way back!! I remember standing in the shower later that night, feeling quite proud of myself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment